Liability insurance

Only one type of vehicle insurance is compulsory by law: motor vehicle liability insurance. 

This covers damage that occurs to a third party. If an accident is your fault, liability insurance won’t reimburse you for damage to your own vehicle.

Partial coverage insurance

Partial coverage is a voluntary type of vehicle insurance, referred to as a supplementary insurance. 

Depending on the policy, this form of motor vehicle insurance covers damage caused by, for example, attempted theft/burglary, weather conditions, fire und collisions with wild animals. In most cases, however, damage caused by vandalism is not covered in partial coverage insurance.

Fully comprehensive insurance

Fully comprehensive insurance is another voluntary, supplementary type of motor vehicle insurance. It offers the highest level of coverage, including damage to your vehicle in the event of an accident when you are at fault.

There are different excesses for fully comprehensive and partial insurance, which vary depending on the policy. The no-claims bonus of a policyholder is not influenced by losses that are settled within the partial coverage insurance, as they are not driving-related, but does affect the no-claims bonus in the fully comprehensive insurance.

Fully comprehensive insurance usually covers damage to the vehicle caused by vandalism, as well as unknown and driver-inflicted damage. 

Fully comprehensive insurance is often selected for brand new vehicles as it covers damage that affects the value of the vehicle. When insuring a leased vehicle, for example, the provider often requires you to have fully comprehensive insurance. 

Did this answer your question?