For the decommissioning of your vehicle, the authorities require the following documents:

  • Car registration and ownership certificates (Fahrzeugschein + Fahrzeugbrief / Zulassungsbescheinigungen Part I + II)
  • License plates of the vehicle
  • If you plan to decommission the car forever, you need a proof (Verwertungsnachweis) of proper disposal of the car. Some junk yards offer to buy your car instead as the car sale agreement acts as legal proof that you have not disposed of your car. They might also offer to take care of deregistering your car.

Once you have de-registered your car, you are not allowed to drive or park it in any public space.

Did this answer your question?