Third-party insurance (Haftpflicht-Versicherung) is a basic legal requirement. This means that no vehicle in Germany can be registered without it. 

Partial or fully comprehensive insurance (Teil-/Vollkasko Versicherung) are additional layers of coverage you can choose to have. These types of insurance can cover you for damage caused by explosions, fire, theft and thunderstorms, or damage to your own vehicle when you are at fault.

Did this answer your question?